Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving 2010

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with delightful dishes and surrounded by loved ones. I must admit that so far this has been my best gluten free Thanksgiving. I got some fantastic recipes at the Celiac Thanksgiving on Monday. My husband made me crock pot sage dressing. It was fabulous to have my own stuffing to go along with my own turkey thighs that I cooked in the crock pot so I didn't take a chance with bird that had been stuffed with bread stuffing and had the potential to have a basting solution injection. I also made my first gluten free pie crust to fill with pecan pie filling. AMAZING! I am so full, but I think I have room for one more piece of pie. The Recipes I'm sharing below were shared at the Celiac Thanksgiving. I do not know who/where the recipes come from, I just know they are fantastic!

Crock Pot Sage Stuffing  by Sue Miller

1 C Margarine                                         1 tsp Sage
1 C Chopped Onion                                1/2 tsp pepper
2 C Chopped Celery                               3 1/2-4 1/2 C Broth
12-13 C slightly dry gf bread cubes          2 well beaten eggs
1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning                       1 tsp salt

Melt margarine in a skillet and saute onion and celery. Pour over bread cubes in a very large bowl. Add all seasonings and toss and mix together well. Pack lightly in slow cooker. Cover and set on high for 45 minutes, then reduce to low for 4-8hrs. Do not remove lid while cooking.

 

BUTTER PIE CRUST

2 1/2 cups flour  (I used Domata Living flour)
1 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold water

1) Cut Butter into the flour and salt. 2) Add cold water and mix well. 3) Roll out on a floured surface. 4) add to pie plate then pour in fillings and bake based on Pie filling needs.

I learned a couple tricks. One - put a pan down below the pie  - the leak all over the oven creating an oooey gooey mess to clean up. Also prick the pie crust with a fork several times and possibly bake for a few minutes without filling so it doesn't stick to the pie plate.

I used the Pecan Pie Recipe on the back of the Dark Karo Syrup bottle, its fantastic. I will only cook it 60 minutes next time, but it was still really good.

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was as good and tasty as mine. Thanks to my husband who made my stuffing for me while I was at work, he did a fabulous job!

No comments:

Post a Comment