Saturday, April 16, 2011

Iberostar Bavaro


I just got back from my first gluten free vacation. I spent 6 wonderful nights at the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I booked my trip thru Gulliver's Travels in Bettendorf. My travel agent Theresa was fantastic. A few months ago we emailed the hotel and made sure they were used to dealing with celiac or gluten intolerant guests. They assured me via email that they have Celiac guests regularly and it would not be a problem. My travel agent called two days before my arrival and reminded them I was coming.

I arrived and gave them my "card" that had a Spanish translation on what I could not eat and they created me a Spanish sign to go along with my card to give to each of the restaurants. The waiter/waitresses were fantastic, they  made it a point to try very hard to avoid any cross contamination and ensure my food was gluten free.

The Buffets were my favorite, sure the cross contamination potentially is higher, but my options were less limited on the buffet because I knew what I could have and avoided things that might cause problems.

I did get sick a couple times, but it was my body adjusting to the difference foods and such, not gluten.  The resort is amazing and beautiful. I liked it much better than any other resort I have been to on my vacations. I highly recommend it, but realize they speak Spanish, so a language barrier does exist for the English speaking American who is not fluent in Spanish.

Good experiences make it so much easier to feel comfortable when traveling with gluten intolerance! I hope others have the same good experience I have enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment