Monday, June 20, 2011

Chicken & Broccoli with Thai Noodles

I love Thai Noodles. The wide ones, but I never really think to buy them. They are versatile. I had some chicken to use up tonight and my son loves anything with broccoli (he's a weird 6 year old) so I created this dish out of my head...it was awesome!! Got compliments for my big and little guys so I will definitely share it so everyone can try it.

I used a couple new things for me to cook with...oyster sauce and fish sauce. They are scary to think about, but oh so yummy. The brand I found at Hy-Vee that is gluten free for Oyster sauce is Far East. I used Thai Kitchen Fish Sauce. I also used Hy-Vee Brand Soy Sauce (its gluten free too).

I did not "measure" anything - unless I'm using a recipe I don't tend to measure! I used minced garlic, chicken broth, corn starch, chicken breast tenders, julienned carrots, broccoli and the above sauces. The only spices I added was black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. It was plenty salty. It should be noted I make my own chicken broth with "better than base" - love that stuff!

Ok, on with the instructions/recipe:

1 package of chicken breast tenders cut into bite size pieces
1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
1/3 Cup of Julienned carrots
2-3 cups or more of steamed broccoli
1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
1.5 cups of chicken broth
1/2 box of Thai Kitchen wide rice noodles.
1 Tsp Fish Sauce
1-2 TBS Oyster Sauce
1-2 TBS Soy Sauce

1) heat the oil in the pan and add garlic and let it cook for a couple minutes. Add the chicken and start cooking the chicken.
2) As the chicken is cooking add the soy sauce, fish sauce and oyster sauce and stir it all up. Continue cooking the chicken.
3) Bring a pot of water to a boil. Turn it off and add the noodles letting them sit for 8 minutes.
4) Mix together chicken broth and cornstarch and pour over the cooked chicken. Continue stirring. Add the carrots and broccoli and let it simmer and added black pepper. Taste the sauce. Add any adjustments needed to seasoning for you liking. I added onion powder and garlic powder (but only because that's how we like our food).
5)Drain and rinse the noodles well.
6) Put the noodles in a bowl and top with the chicken and broccoli. If you like kick add some crushed red pepper. Mix it all up to get the sauce on the noodles and ENJOY

It was much better than I expected. The measurements are all approximate since I did not measure anything. You could always go light at first and add more later at taste test. I will definitely use the oyster and fish sauce again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment