Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ban Deoderant...gluten really?!

I was shocked recently to find that my Ban deodorant has barley in it. Barley. I was extremely frustrated, but that would explain the painful bumps in my armpits.  This also gave me a real reason to try to make my own deodorant. My sister had tried it and liked it, but I was reluctant. I didn't want to stink. Finally I caved when I for some reason felt compelled to read the back of the Ban stick. YIKES!
 
I went to the Crunchy Betty site and followed the instructions. I bought the Coconut Oil (which I love and will never be without again) at Hy-Vee W Kimberly. The essential oils I bought at Greatest Grains for about $6/each, but they are a big bottle. I already had cornstarch and baking soda. Simple. I used spearmint and orange essential oils.
 
I mixed it all together in a mixing cup and put some in a small container to apply with my fingers and decided to put some in an old deodorant container. I was pleasantly surprised. The next day the mixture had solidified enough to use it out of the deodorant container. It gets slightly melty after the first armpit because the body heat warms it up. It smells amazing. I told my husband that I smell like I'm smuggling breath mints in my "pits". He laughed, but agreed. It has been almost a week with using only this deodorant - so far no stink. I even worked out twice and nothing. I still smell fresh and minty clean.
 
It took me about 5 minutes to mix it up. Verdict: totally worth it!  Plus it protects me from the aluminium in the deodorants too.
 
I told my sister now that I'm making my own laundry detergent (love it) and my own dish washer detergent (love it) and now my own deodorant I feel very "green".

No comments:

Post a Comment