Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Red Velvet Cake - revisited

I made a red velvet cake this weekend...well technically I made two...but only one wasn't GLUE! I hate it when I make something and it doesn't come out right, it tends to be a pricy "try" especially with prices of everything going up. I tried to use Domata flour and follow the recipe I had from the Gluten Free Cooking School. I now know what I did wrong...
 
The cake its self was tasty. I will say that it did turn out okay, not as good as the first time I made it, but it was definitely enjoyed by all. It's a forgiving recipe.
 
Mistake #1 -- I deviated from the recipe. I used Domata Flour in place of the brown rice and sorghum flour mix. I was mixing away and had added 1 TABLESPOON of both Baking Soda and Xathan Gum...I couldn't figure out why the heck it was so thick much like GLUE -- that was causing my mixer to have major issues. It then dawned on me that I had used a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon...oops!
 
Mistake #2 - I tossed out the glue ball and remeasured everything - it was a costly mistake if you know how expensive Domata flour is you know I cringed! I started mixing and again added Xathan Gum - this time only a tsp...forgetting Domata already adds Xanthan gum to their flour. Dangit! It was thick again, but I thought I could salvage it, not wanting to use my last two cups of Domata flour on a cake I still hadn't gotten right!
 
I baked them, they were a little dense. I frosted them...we ate...and ate....I took it to work, where I continued to eat it...no one complained, but my husband eloquently put it that it was just "thicker" than the last cake, it didn't taste bad, but he liked the first cake better.
 
So lesson learned...I will not deviate from the Gluten Free Cooking School Recipe-- it was perfect the first time!! Highly recommend it - even screwed up it was very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment