Saturday, January 1, 2011

Corn Chowder

I got this recipe on the Spark People site. I had to alter the flour to be gluten free. I used Domata Living Flour for the two table spoons. I also added my own extra spices. I added more salt and pepper than the recipe called for, I  did it based on the taste of the soup. I also added crushed red pepper (about three good shakes - nice measuring, eh?), a couple shakes of garlic powder, and oregano leaves. I added a few sprinkles of Monterrey Jack cheese. It was fantastic! It was was 186 calories before I added the cheese,so I'm guess its right at 200 calories per serving, which is one cup. It was very easy to make. My husband liked it too and added chicken to his, he said it was really good that way too.

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced celery
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced onion
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced green pepper
  • 1 package frozen whole kernel corn (10 oz.)
  • 1 cup peeled, diced, 1/2" raw potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoons gluten free flour 
  • 2 cups low-fat (1%) or skim milk
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced

Directions

1. Heat oil in medium saucepan.
2. Add celery, onion, and green pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; and cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Place 1/2 cup milk in a jar with tight fitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
5. Add gradually to cooked vegetables and add remaining milk.
6. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.

Yield: 4 servings--Serving Size: 1 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment