Monday, November 1, 2010

Baked Mac n Cheese

I tried the Baked Mac N Cheese recipe from the book "You Won't Believe It's Gluten Free" and it turned out well. I was pleasantly surprised.

I used Schar's Penne pasta and regular cheddar cheese. It stuck to the pan, but was tasty.

Ingredients
8oz GF elbow or penne pasta
8oz Cheddar cheese

Sauce:
3/4 c milk
2 eggs
1 TBS corn or potato starch
3/4 tsp salt
4oz Monterey jack cheese

Topping:
2 oz Cheddar Cheese

Preheat the oven to 350. Cook the pasta according to the package, rinse and drain well. Set aside.
Shred the 8oz of cheese and set aside. Separately, shred the 2 oz of cheese for the topping as well.
In a microwave safe bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Microwave and stir in 20 second intervals until the cheese has melted and the sauce thickens. The frequent stirring is necessary to avoid a scrambled-egg effect.  Combine the pasta, sauce and 8 oz shredded cheese. Mix Well.
Place in an oven safe casserole dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer until the top begins to brown. Serve Hot.


Realize I made this because I love mac n cheese, but not enough to actually shred my own cheese - I am lazy busy and that's why Hy-Vee carries shredded cheese in convenient 8oz bags. I used shredded cheese and had no problems (not that I expected any). Next time I might try to add some cayenne pepper or something to spice it up, but it was still good!! Give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment