Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Monster of a Meal...YUM!

I was given Apple's Bakery Gluten Free Stuffing to try from Hy-Vee last week. I couldn't wait to to try it. We bought a turkey yesterday and I planned a whole big meal. I used the package for directions and recipe to make the stuffing. I made garlic baked potatoes and apple dumplings in the crock pot using the "Make it Fast Cook It Slow" cookbook for gluten free crock pot recipes.

The turkey I had under control - I can cook a mean turkey - well a moist one at least. The stuffing recipe made be a bit nervous...it had an apple in it. I don't think I have ever had stuffing with an apple in it. It was easy enough, the only problem was it said to moisten with chicken broth and I really didn't know how much was too much so I didn't really soak it. I stuffed the bird and put it in the bag and into the oven it went.

The garlic baked potatoes were fabulous. I took two large baking potatoes - washed them, cut 1/2 inch slits cross wise but not all the way through. Then I put thinly sliced pieces of garlic inside the slits, put them in the slow cooker and poured melted butter/olive oil over top and let it cook for 6 hours on low. They were amazing!! We didn't use sour cream on top as a garnish, we love turkey gravy a bit too much.


The apple dumplings were easy enough to make, my crock pot isn't as big as I needed and part of the "sauce" burned,but the majority were salvageable and bordered on awesome with some ice cream after dinner. So tasty.
Dumplings without sauce

Dumplings with Sauce and Ready to cook!



The stuffing was good, even my gluten eating family liked the stuffing that was gf. It was good as teh recipe suggested, but next time I plan to jazz it up in my own way like stuffing we normally make. It was definitely worth it. You will soon be able to find the bags of Apple's Bakery Stuffing at Hy-Vee on West Kimberly Rd in Davenport, IA.

So here are the links to two crock pot recipes I used today - they have a whole section on gf cooking w/the crock pot. Check it out: Apple Dumplings  and Garlic Baked Potatoes






No comments:

Post a Comment