Monday, November 15, 2010

Rice Paper = Mandy's Rice Paper Rolls

I went to the Oriental Foods store today in Davenport. I have been wanting to try to make my own "rolls" to eat with filling - similar to an egg roll but without frying.

I found online where I could bake the rolls. So I decided to give it a try. That meant two more trips to two different Hy-Vee's to get exactly what I needed. My ingredients included: rice paper, julienne carrots, bean sprouts, red cabbage, green onions, vermicelli, minced garlic and medium spiced pork sausage.

I cooked the sausage and then drained it. I used the same skillet and sauteed the carrots, bean sprouts, green onions and garlic with the lid on to soften up the veggies.

 I then put the sausage and veggie mix in a bowl.  I put the vermicelli in a bowl of hot water until softened, then I drained the water off it. I then placed one piece of rice paper in the warm water until it softened then laid it out flat on the cutting board and put the filling inside. I then layered the vermicelli and red cabbage on top and rolled up the rice paper (looked like a see thru egg roll). I put them on a cookie sheet and brushed a bit of olive oil on top and browned at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. They didn't really brown, but did get a harder shell, just not very hard.

They were awesome!! My 5 year son liked them too. I made him a little one with peanut butter and jelly and it was good too.

I swear I ate like 10 of them. Will definately make these again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment