Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sausage & Potato Soup

It's freezing cold in Iowa today! OK - so its not quite freezing, but its a huge change when the high is only 40 degrees. BRRRR! Perfect day for soup!!

I was trying to use up the rest of a bag of potatoes and some chicken sausage links. I wasn't sure how it was going to all come together since I had no recipe. I got out my new crock pot bags and lined a 4 quart crock pot. I peeled 6 red potatoes and sliced them about 1/4 inch thick. I then layered them in the bottom of the crock pot. I then sliced a pack of Bistro Sensations Three Cheese with Roasted Tomato Chicken Sausages in to 1/2 inch pieces and layered them on top of the potatoes, continuing to layer until I was out of both potatoes and sausage. I then places several round thin slices of yellow onion on top.

I then mixed up a GF Cream Soup Mix to pour over top. I used 1/2 cup mix, 1/2 cup water and 1.5 cups of chicken broth and heated it until it started to thicken (I used the microwave, which is totally cheating for a cream soup mix, but it worked okay as long as I stirred it often). I got it to the thickness I wanted and poured it over top the layers and then put the lid on the crock pot. I cooked it on high for about 4 hours until the potatoes were tender. We tasted it and my glutenous hubby thought it could use some red pepper flakes...he was right! I also added just a sprinkle of tapioca flour to thicken the liquid a bit more as I added a few heavy shakes of crushed red pepper (like my measuring?) and stirred it in to mix the spices up well. I then put the crock pot on low for another 30 minutes or so.

I loved how spicy it was, but doesn't have to be it all depends on the person eating it. You can use any flavor of chicken sausages too. I added some shredded Swiss to my first bowl (yea I had two) and then Mexican mix cheese to my 2nd bowl...both were fantastic!!! It was easy and cooked all day without me doing anything except stir it - my kind of meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment