Sunday, October 17, 2010

Uncle Buck's Fishbowl & Grill 10-16-10

Uncle Buck's Fishbowl & Grill is located inside the Bass Pro Shop store in Altoona, IA (Just east of Des Moines, IA). We were shopping and decided to just grab dinner at the restaurant because you can bowl while you eat which is a big attraction for my 5 year old son. We were bummed to find out all the lanes were taken, but the hostess was happy to sit us close to a TV that had the Hawkeye Game on (Go Hawks) to appease us. I asked the hostess if they had a gluten free menu and she said yes we do, your server will be able to handle that for you. I looked at my hubby and gave him my shocked grin that happens every time I am pleasantly surprised by gluten free options.

The waitress shows up and I ask for the gluten free menu and she looks at me dumbfounded and says we don't have that. She grabs the regular menu to try to "help". I appreciate the offer to "help" but since you have NO CLUE please do not try to help, I can navigate a gluten menu just fine without assistance at this point...I will have a cheeseburger no bun. UGH! I was frustrated and my hubby felt bad, I ended up getting sick from the fries which were breaded in something -seriously people they are FRIES, there is no need to mess with them by breading them before frying...just fry them (preferably in a clean non contaminated fryer).

You'd think I would be used to the disappointment by now since its almost a daily occurrence, but I was still bummed and side lined by a belly ache while my family enjoyed the pool at the hotel.  We will probably go back sometime when we are staying in town again, only because the atmosphere is great and my son loved the place. I think next time I will just stick with a salad to prevent any issues.  The prices were normal for bar food.

No comments:

Post a Comment