Thursday, September 30, 2010

Schar's Crispbread and Hot Onion Dip

I found a recipe in my son's school cookbook I wanted to try and thought I'd use the Schar's Crispbread with it to see if it was all I hoped it would be.

The Crispbread is a weird  unique cracker/bread substitute. My husband thinks it tastes like a communion wafer for the Catholic church. While it does leave that sort of blah aftertaste that a communion wafer does its more "airy" in texture. It has almost no flavor and what it does is more of an after taste.

This might be better with peanut butter or maybe some lunch meat piled on it, similar to a rice cake sandwich. The pieces are small they are rectangles that fit in my outstretched hand.  I can't say it was "bad" because it wasn't, it was just not what I was hoping it would be. I was hoping for more of a Melba toast texture and flavor.

Anyway, I made a hot onion dip to go with the crispbread. It was very easy and it is a good tasting recipe. If I were a gluten eating girl, I'd pair it with chunks of bread or something yummy like that, but sadly I am not.

I ended up eating two pieces of crispbread with it, then switching to corn tortilla chips but finishing my serving with kettle cooked potato chips. The Potato Chips were my favorite thing to eat this dip with, the salty chips just added what it was missing for me.

The Dip Recipe is from the Harrison Hawks Cookbook - I made this recipe scaled down because I cannot eat that much. It's a lot of dip scaled down.

1 onion finely chopped
1pkg cream cheese, softened
1/4c mayo
3/4 C Parmesan cheese.

Preheat oven 400 degrees. Grease 8x8 glass dish, mix all ingredients in prepared glass dish and bake for 15 minutes til bubbly. Serve while still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment